cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:36:02 -0600

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> The reality is that most of the major examples used on this list are
> systems where users cannot apply their own DRM.

*Hypothetical* examples. Most *real* so-called "DRM systems" can
actually play non-DRM content either natively, or with user-installed
software upgrades. In fact, I think this is true for *every* real
example mentioned (remembering once again that ROM-based devices or
devices that simply have no copying ability are *not* "TPM"/"DRM" devices).

> distribution is a prerequisite. As a result, the terms are effectively
> interchangable for the sake of argument.

In these cases, the case for TPM+PD breaking copyleft is much more
strong. Hence there is even more reason to stick to the anti-TPM
formulation.

Cheers,
Terry