cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:08:28 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
On Saturday 02 December 2006 11:55 am, James Grimmelmann wrote:
That is, with software, you need source code in order to
make full use of the relevant freedoms; with many other sorts of works,
you do not need the source code to enjoy those freedoms.

I disagree with this strongly. I just feel that it is next to impossible to properly express such a "source" requirement in simple language and so have to content myself to live without it.

With an oil painting, a "source" requirement would be not just difficult to express but impossible to implement. This is not a problem of definitions. It would be ridiculous to ask a painter to make a "modifiable" version available.

We are in fact much poorer for nat having the source though.

James, please answer this for me. Why do you insist that it is essential to allow my works to be used on a platform where only the blessed can put them there? (I will by the way, at this point, allow mine on there if the blessed will pay for the use of my works.)

It is not essential. It is merely a good idea and more consistent with Creative Commons's goals than the alternative currently under discussion.

James