cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Nic Suzor" <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:24:28 +1000

On 12/5/06, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:
But because you want to see it in the movie theater
and because you want to see (insert names of famous
actors and actresses here) play in the movie, you're
willing to forgoe the CC-SA license

FOR THIS PLATFORM. FOR THIS INSTANCE.

Just as I am willing to forgoe the ability to take my video camera
into the movie theatre if I can, as soon as I step outside, download
the whole movie in a clear format.

I would not support a deal where he could use BY-SA content without
releasing the movie BY-SA. I would support a position where he could
screen that final movie in the theatre, even encumbered, as long as
the movie was additionally released BY-SA in a clear format.

I understand your position. I am happy for you to hold that view. We
differ on this point, but it is not through my lack of understanding
what you are saying.

But do it with your content, do it with a dual license.
Maybe you can make some money while you're at it.

But don't surrender the community's work to this
proprietary fork just because you'd like to see
their work on Dave's platform.

As I said, I can only speak for myself. If my position is taken to be
selling out the community, then I am happy to seek another licence.
But I would like to at least have my position heard and recognised by
those claiming to represent the community, of which I would call
myself a part.

nic.