cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:31:32 +0000

Quoting Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>:

Yeah, the point of Lucas making an offer was not that
it had to do with DRM, but that it had to do with a platform
monopoly. Lucas would use CC-SA content if you'd give him
a platform monopoly in the theaters and for his movie.
Maybe you had to sign a no-compete agreement saying you
won't let anyone else use your content in a theater.
Maybe you get the modifications he makes to your music,
but the final derivative, the movie, remains All Rights Reserved.

Ah, OK. I'm sorry for misunderstanding this.

Giving up copyleft on a work for a particular instance
of that work will lead to eventual harm to the community.

Sure, one time probably won't kill it, but if you give
an exception to DRM, and then an exception to movie theaters,
and then another exception, and another, you end up with
enough platform monopolies that they completely overshadow
the FREE version of the work.

Quite. And if there is the possibility of instances my work becoming non-free
(or non-free instances of my work being made, dilute to taste), I am not
convinced that the best way of tackling this is to, er, let them. *Local*
application of DRM is a compromise position for me, but I am pragmatic about
what the licenses already permit, even if that does include DRM distribution.

- Rob.