cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:04:03 -0500

On Friday 10 March 2006 07:10 pm, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > If it were that simple, that would be cool. If all I had to do was
> > examine my heart, give a simple yes or no answer to the best of my
> > abilities and everyone including the copyright owners were bound to
> > accept my answer, that would be a breeze.
>
> Actually thats what everybody wants and in general it is like that. Its
> a breeze, if in doubt just ask. In the old days and officially this is
> still true, a spoken word is a contract. Creating fear that you might
> get sued is a business modell of lawyers, they point you to some
> hypothetical danger, but crossing the street is probably much more
> dangerous, be it for your life or legally...

But it is not like that ata all from the discussions I see on this list.

And as to if in doubt, just ask... I am not interested in that game long
term.
I am involved in trying to reduce friction in the re-use of the works I
release and in the ones I may want to re-use.

> As soon I am allowed (I might have to quit the Gema) to publish my music
> under a cc license, you have herewith the written consent to use it also
> for commercial purposes, (but are restricted to publish it under the
> original conditions: If its NC it has to stay NC)

I appreciate the offer, but can someone comment on how this works when the
licence claims it is the only agreement between us? Who can be bound by extra
licence terms? And this would only be good for works which were all yours,
right?

Is Gema something like ASCAP or BMI or PRS? If so, please check this link:

http://ccmixter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2465

Look for the post where PorchCat starts "Again, I think all this hysteria is
unwarranted.

I am an ASCAP affiliated artist.

I am also a Creative Commons artist. "

Is ASCAP more liberal with its members than Gema?

> Stefan

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145