cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:06:48 -0500

On Thursday 09 March 2006 01:40 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 07:58 -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> > This all came to mind because I like to promote Free Software,
> > particularly GPL software and the Creative Commons, particularly BY-SA
> > works.
>
> [...]
>
> > If I like
> > your BY or BY-SA works, you can expect me to spread the word about you.
> > (I would appreciate it if you would return the favour.) Right now, those
> > of you choosing the NC option can hire me to promote your works in the
> > Bahamas if you like. ~;-) Fair is fair right?
>
> Thank you. IMHO this is the most productive strategy for those of you
> who dislike NC to take -- work to make BY-SA the dominant license, just
> as the GPL (after many years) outcompeted shareware and other
> alternatives.

Oh, I agree completely and that is a big part of my game plan. However, if NC
were more clear, I might try promoting those works as well. As it is, I think
that is too dangerous to mess with them.

Look, I make no bones about BY-SA being my favourite CC licence. That said, I
do not feel it is out of line trying to give input towards improving all of
the CC licences where I have ideas that might help.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145