cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:02:46 -0600

On Monday 06 March 2006 04:34 pm, Mia Garlick wrote:
> but for the purposes of determining whether a use is
commercial or
> not, isn't whether the org is established for the purpose
of making
> money or not, the only relevant question in answering that
question?

The US Federal Government doesn't think so. A for-profit
company is allowed to take contracts on a "non-profit"
basis, if it does not in fact make a profit off of the
activity (proving this requires paperwork, which I have
been responsible for filing, so believe me, I know this is
so).

It is true, that they also have a reservation of the term
"grant" for use in "non-commercial organizations". But this
is a considerable shift of meaning. We must now interpret
"NC" as a specific discrimination against certain
*entities*, and not against certain *activities*.

That is NOT a "non-commercial use" clause, but rather a
"non-commercial user" clause.

That is a VERY different idea (pretty important one-letter
change, I admit).

Terry