cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:12:11 +0100

Mia Garlick wrote:
of course the other solution to this problem as terry indicated would be for the group/shop/company to only use CC licensed music without an NC limitation.

Which might not be in the interest of the potential "end users". If I would want to go to a place to find music, I would want this place to show me anything be it cc, nc, nd, all rights reserved or whatever. I am more concerned about the taste than a licensing model.
Music for example is not exchangable (unless its really uninteristing music nobody wants to hear) whereas software with a given purpose is. Thats why a GPL with no commercial barriers makes a lot of sense to put something up against a market leader. There are marketleaders for distributing music, but there are no market leaders for creating music (unless its really uninteristing music nobody wants to listen to ;-).

The only problem with nc is: its more complicated. If its all rights reserved, the commercial use of music is pretty easy because of the IP rights associations like Gema, ASCAP and alike. Its a shame that these two can't be combined at the moment. At least the Gema thinks a cc-nc license is not compatible with the existing contracts. I'd like to combine the two: non commercial use is free, commercial use is payed and licensed by the associations, nd means you have to ask before you create derivative works.

In the end the nc licenses seems to be much more succesful than the others, there must be a reason. And if its just the wish as I mentioned before:
If it helps you pay your bills, please help me pay my bills.
Also a gift economy could only work, if this rule is accepted common sense, but then its not so different from a commercial thinking, but it has less barriers, which is undoubtedly good...

Stefan

--

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]