cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Extending CC License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Brian Erdelyi <brian_erdelyi AT yahoo.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Extending CC License
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:02:55 -0600

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 11:01 am, Brian Erdelyi wrote:
> I'm just acknowledging the existance of these
characteristics that impact control over the user's
experience, privacy and system security. I'm not
justifying whether the terms are legal, enforcable or
appropriate.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You are quoting
terms that are inimical to the purposes of CC, as
I understand them.

Are you asking CC to help you write a license that
does these things? ISTM, you're asking in the wrong
place, since no one here is likely to want applying
these kinds of terms to be easy. Certainly they
are unlikely to want it badly enough to draft license
terms for them (Willing slave says, "Yes I will
happily make handcuffs so you can use them on me,
sir!" ?)

Or are you just trying to *document* an existing license?

In that case, you don't need license terms, you just
need a meta-data scheme for tagging licenses. This is
not unlike the CC "deed" and banner for the Gnu
General Public License (which is NOT a CC license, of
course).

Can you clarify?

Cheers,
Terry