cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Takemoto" <tim AT yamaguchi-u.ac.jp>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:56:57 +0900

Drew wrote (thank you)

> While I agree wit you thoughts, I think you miss what he meant by match. If
> understand correctly, I think he is referring to a sweet-spot type match
> where the "properties" of software and the "provisions" of the license work
> together to generate success. So, he thinks, that, for instance, while
> BY-SA
> may have similar "provisions" to the GPL, text does not have similar enough
> "properties" to software for the "sweet-spot" match to occur.

That is what I (he) meant.

If we are talking about work that we do for our friends, then I agree that
there
is no need for this new licence.

I think that GPL has succeeded as a business, and that a lot of programmers
have joined GPL is because it works as a business.

I think that there should be a way of making that business work in other
areas.

> Code is text, though. I don't understand what properties literary or
> academic
> text is meant to have that makes copyleft inadequate for it.

The fact that people still want books made of paper makes it difficult to
copyleft
and still make a profit. One does not own the nexus of distribution, so
people
do not come back, and the community snowball does not get rolling.

Rob wrote
> If we look at Lessig's "Free Culture", for example, the eBooks and
> audio-books
> were generated because of the license, a noncommercial (hiss! :-) )
> attributon-
> only (hiss! :-) ) license. A medium-specific license wouldn't have allowed
> this.

When we are at the age of audio or ebooks then I agree. And while a lot of
people
do read from screens, there are still a lot of things called bookshops, and if
you go to a train, library or classroom there are a lot of books.

I would like to release stuff as an ebook (not as a pBook). Perhaps a "CC BA
SA
eBook" licence would be the thing.

The world of book publishing, bookshops, textbooks, libraries and course ware
is still much less copylefted than software (despite the efforst of
wikipedia).

This could change.

Tim