cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:21:23 -0500

Ron Kaminsky wrote:
(I hope this will thread properly - it's a test of Thunderbird
at the same time; sorry if it/I fail)

Your article showed up as a response to your article which started this thread, rather than a response to my article or drew Roberts' article. The References: header offers no way for an article to be seen as a response to more than one article, so you're stuck if that's what you wanted to accomplish.

Yes, you have a point --- on the face of it, (1) is superfluous
since the copyright will expire. Unfortunately, given the current
way things are going, no one is sure _when_ it will expire. Having
an explicit date would enable a third-party preservation agent
to have a "guaranteed date of release", otherwise its costs are
open-ended.

Actually, copyright in the US might never expire again and might also apply for a seemingly limited time. Periodic extension and Congressional servitude to multinational corporate publishers makes this seemingly paradoxical outcome possible.

Yes, and I am also concerned that the preservation process might be
legislated out of existence during the period until the release date.

Maybe what you want isn't a new license at all, it's a contract to release the work at a certain price on a certain date? Or maybe you want to buy a copy of the work under an amenable license now so that when you want to do the preservation work it's just sitting there waiting for you to work on it?

I'd expect the latter to cost more than the former because the former will give the licensor time to realize that (most likely) what they have isn't worth much money and one more sale is better than no more sales.