cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:32:56 -0400

Evan,

I actually agree wit you, but I think you may be missing some of the details
of the other side of the argument.

On Thursday 21 July 2005 08:50 am, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 19:56 +0900, Takemoto wrote:
> > The fact that people still want books made of paper makes it difficult to
> > copyleft and still make a profit.
>
> That's just not true. A publisher can make a pretty tidy profit by
> assembling copyleft books and selling them.

The claim is not that the publishers can't make money, but that the author
can't. I guess the reasoning behind that would be. What publisher would pay
an author for rights when ay other publisher could publish the same work
without paying for the rights? Something like that.

Perhaps we need something like an author recommended publisher seal. The
author gets paid when you buy your paper copy from this publisher.

> They just won't make the
> exploitative monopolistic profits that can be made on non-copyleft
> books, since there will be a truly "free" market and if they don't
> provide value to their customer, the customer will by the identical
> content from a different publisher.

Exactly, and folling the other side's argument, those other publishers may
not
pay the author anything. This is why he wants to reserve binding rights to
the author who would then get paid for these rights by one publisher. (Is
that a fair statement of the argument/thought?)

> > The world of book publishing, bookshops, textbooks, libraries and course
> > ware is still much less copylefted than software (despite the efforst of
> > wikipedia).
> >
> > This could change.
>
> Agreed! And the wrong way to do it is to disallow readers from using
> their preferred medium to access the work.
>
> ~Evan

I think anything other than BY or BY-SA is not going to work long term to
further the goals I envision when I think of why I am involved in all of
this.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22