cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: "Ron Kaminsky"@lists.ibiblio.org, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:29:13 -0400

On Thursday 14 July 2005 02:47 am, Ron Kaminsky wrote:
> (I hope this will thread properly - it's a test of Thunderbird
> at the same time; sorry if it/I fail)
>
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 05:35 pm, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> > Also, you would want your estate to somehow recover the money spent
> > on this arrangement if there was no copyright on the work when your
> > estate went to get their copy of the work. After all, if the work is
> > no longer under copyright, your estate needs no permission to do
> > anything with the work. Hence, paying for that permission was a
> > total waste of money.
>
> Yes, you have a point --- on the face of it, (1) is superfluous
> since the copyright will expire. Unfortunately, given the current
> way things are going, no one is sure _when_ it will expire. Having
> an explicit date would enable a third-party preservation agent
> to have a "guaranteed date of release", otherwise its costs are
> open-ended.

Got you, i did not pick up on this part of what you desire, but it is a good
idea if you can get such a license. I kind of doubt many of the big players
will sell you fixed date licenses though.

> On Wed Jul 13 19:11:46 EDT 2005 drew Roberts wrote:
> > I think you are missing what is concerns are and what he wants to
> > do.
> >
> > He is concerned that when copyright on the work runs out, there will
> > be no copies of the work in existance anywhere.
>
> Yes, and I am also concerned that the preservation process might be
> legislated out of existence during the period until the release date.
>
> > He wants th right to make copies now in order to ensure the
> > existance of such copies when copytights to run out on the work.
> >
> > I think I have that right.
>
> Yes, I believe we currently have that right.

Sorry, poor choice of words. I intended to be understood as saying - 'I think
I have that correct."

> In most countries. But as
> Carole King ponders "will you still love me tomorrow" --- there is no
> guarantee that that particular fair-use right will be not be
> legislated away during the preservation period.

If the right does exist now, you are certainly correct that it can vanish
tomorrow.