cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tom Poe <tompoe AT fiai.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposal for a new kind of CC license - ebook
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:46:33 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:

- - - snip - - -

Perhaps we need something like an author recommended publisher seal. The author gets paid when you buy your paper copy from this publisher.

They just won't make the exploitative monopolistic profits that can be made on non-copyleft
books, since there will be a truly "free" market and if they don't
provide value to their customer, the customer will by the identical
content from a different publisher.

Exactly, and folling the other side's argument, those other publishers may not pay the author anything. This is why he wants to reserve binding rights to the author who would then get paid for these rights by one publisher. (Is that a fair statement of the argument/thought?)

The world of book publishing, bookshops, textbooks, libraries and course
ware is still much less copylefted than software (despite the efforst of
wikipedia).

This could change.

Agreed! And the wrong way to do it is to disallow readers from using
their preferred medium to access the work.

~Evan

I think anything other than BY or BY-SA is not going to work long term to further the goals I envision when I think of why I am involved in all of this.

Authoright is an idea which details Drew's comment:
http://www.culturedialogue.org/authoright.shtml

An excellent argument for Drew's "recommended publisher seal".
Tom

---