cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license -

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license -
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:59:46 -0700

Takemoto wrote:
As we have seen with open source, when the right licence exists
there is a lot of sharing, and that means a lot of benefit for a lot of people. To succeed a licence has to reward those that take part to the right extent.

I haven't been following this thread, so I may have missed something, but I think the above is misleading. It took many years for open source/free software to take off and it isn't clear at all that adding the "right license" to the mix played any role. GPL, LGPL and MIT/BSD have existed a very long time and still are the most used open source licenses. Network effects were very important, especially in the case of the GPL. MPL, CPL, etc., came after the movement reached critical mass.

What's more, licenses that fall out of the scope of the open source definition or on its margins (e.g., AGPL, RPL) have not seen wide adoption.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21