cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ron Kaminsky <ronkaminsky AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 03:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:

> Maybe what you want isn't a new license at all, it's a contract to
> release the work at a certain price on a certain date?

Well, isn't a license something like a contract? I'm not a lawyer,
so I don't really understand the difference.

Just getting a personal license to release the work very far in the
future isn't going to be enough, because I probably won't be around
personally anymore. There's extra stuff the license would need to let
me and my preservation agents do, like: transfer the work and license
to a limited extent as necessary for preservation, possibly
circumventing DRM to enable the transfers.

> Or maybe you
> want to buy a copy of the work under an amenable license now so
that
> when you want to do the preservation work it's just sitting there
> waiting for you to work on it?

No, you keep missing most of the point --- I'm most likely going to
be
dead before this work can be released, and I will need a special
license to be able to pay someone else to release it for me when that
date arrives.

> I'd expect the latter to cost more than the former because the
> former will give the licensor time to realize that (most likely)
> what they have isn't worth much money and one more sale is better
> than no more sales.

I'd be happy if the price was the problem, but right now, there is no
such license (and I don't see lots of IP lawyers jumping on this
thread volunteering to invent one :-), so the price is irrelevant.