baslinux - Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.5 was Re: SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.5 was Re: SIP phone
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 04:27:20 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, if you add the gtk and gdk stuff and libXi does Seamonkey work for
you with glibc 2.3.1 from Slackware 9.0? And a 2.2 kernel.

If so, perhaps you could package the two dependencies from Slackware 9.0
including glibc 2.3.1 libc libm and ld-linux. The rest is found in
Slackware 7.1.

Slackware 9.0 glibc 2.3.1 solibs is not much more than 1 MB (even with man pages). The full package needed for compiling is 14MB but most of that appears to be locale, zoneinfo, gconv, man, doc, info, and a few small binaries in bin and sbin. To compile, do we need anything from the larger package other than the libraries themselves, and /usr/include/*/, assuming we already installed the full 2.2.25 package? (I deleted locale, gconv, man, doc, and info from that package already).

Just upgrading solibs breaks the compiler and is difficult to reverse.
I don't think removepkg did the job. You have to manually delete 2.3.1 files and run ldconfig, probably from ramdisk or loop linux.

I don't know a way to make older and newer libraries coexist and use the older ones for compiling. So upgrading the solibs means anything compiled in future will require the newer solibs.

Will the Slackware 12 libraries work with kernel 2.4? If so, it might make sense to upgrade to them instead of 9.0 and be able to use packages and libraries from Slackware 12. Are they much larger than 9.0?

glibc-2.2.5.so - 1.237 MB (SW8.1)
glibc-2.3.1.so - 1.262 MB (SW9.0)
How large is glibc from Slackware 10?
glibc-2.3.6.so - 1.422 MB (SW11)
SW12?

How much more RAM does 200K extra of glibc use? Is there some way to tell how much RAM each library uses?

I would use BL2 or BL3 upgraded to glibc 2.3.1 for laptops (with 16-32MB RAM), with Opera 8.54 and/or Seamonkey 1.1.15 (which uses less RAM?), but later/larger glibc for desktops to allow use of precompiled browser packages that need GTK2+ including Firefox 3, Midori and recent Seamonkey.

You can put 512MB RAM into any desktop made in the last ten years.
I still really like the structure of BL, but 'old hardware' is not what it was when BL first started. I had BL1 on a 486 with 12MB of 30-pin SIMMs (that took 10 minutes to load Redhat with X). BL3 is still ideal for this age computer.