baslinux - Re: [BL] SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SIP phone
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:18:04 -0400

It might work with older versions of Ekiga softphone.

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
There is a cheap internet phone service SIP (www.sipphone.com) which is $3/month for unlimited incoming calls, 2 cents/min outgoing calls within the US (1.7 cents to China, other rates to other places), and you call from your computer via broadband or dialup.

For Windows, Mac or Linux.

They have RPM, DEB, Freespire/Linspire and tarball linux packages that require:

GTK+ 2.6 or later (Slackware 11 does not even have this)
libstdc++ 5 or 6 (Slackware 11 has 6)
Gconf - what library would this be?

How difficult or impossible would it be to upgrade BL2 or BL3 to work with this service? I can stick Freespire on another partition but I prefer BL.
I could put a minimal BL on another partition and upgrade any libraries there, rather than messing up my basic installation.

You can download the 10MB GUI software, or buy an $80 phone to plug into your router instead, I am told.

Broadband without landline is now $20/month and landline $30/month, making broadband with SIP cheaper than dialup and phone line.

Sindi Keesan