baslinux - Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.5 was Re: SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.5 was Re: SIP phone
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:29:00 +0000 (UTC)

At the seamonkey site is a 12MB precompiled binary of Seamonkey 1.1.15
Suite (which includes chat, IRC, and email programs) compiled for GTK 1.2
(and Glibc 2.3.6 - SW11 uses 2.3.4).

2.3.4 works. 2.3.1 (Slackware 9.0?) might also work.

libxpcom
libmozjs
libplds4
libplc4
libnspr4

The above five libraries are found in the seamonkey directory and all but the first also in SW11 /usr/lib.

libXi (found in Slackware 7.1)

libgcc_s
libstdc++.so.5

I have not found these in Slackware 7.1 or seamonkey. Where would we get them precompiled for older glibc? The ones found in Slackware 11 require glibc 2.3.6. The other libraries come with precompiled seamonkey and seem to work with glibc 2.2.5. (The site says they need 2.2.4). Supposedly you need only libstdc++ 2.9.0 but ldd says libstdc++.so.5 Not found.

I already have libgtk and libgdk and libglib 1.2, libgmodule 1.2, from
Slackware 8.1 or earlier.

The version that downloads using the installer (choose just Navigator to get 11MB files) is 1.0.5, and it installs itself to various directories such as /usr/local/seamonkey (33MB of files including the libraries) instead of unpacking to /seamonkey. It has a few more dependencies (libpango*, libgobject).

The 12MB gtk1 version is 1.1.15 with security fixes and contains email, IRC, and HTML editor, and unpacks to 39MB (including some libraries that SW11 already has in /usr/lib). It should work with BL2 if we upgrade glibc. I know it will work with glibc 2.3.6 and the other libraries from
Slackware 11. But I would rather use older glibc.

Could someone with broadband and glibc 2.3.1 (Slackware 9.0) please check if that is adequate, and if there is libstdc++.so.5 and libgcc_s for Slackware 9.0?

Another list member suggests using a VOIP modem instead of a computer to turn broadband into phone line. No software required.