baslinux - Re: [BL] SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SIP phone
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:58:43 +0000 (UTC)

It might work with older versions of Ekiga softphone.

I have not checked this, but I downloaded X-lite for linux (version 2.0, 2MB) which has a huge list of dependencies, all found in Slackware 11 but
mostly not BL2. Besides the ones used by Firefox:

libgthread-2.0.so.0
libglade-2.0.so.0
libxml2.so.2
libpangoxft-1.0.so.0
libpangox-1.0.so.0

It wants libstdc++.so.5 but worked with so.6 from Slackware 11.

Untargz, copy the executable to some place on the path, run it and you see a picture of a cell phone plus something to adjust audio with. Get rid of that, then click on a number and a menu appears with 'Enabled: No' highlighted. (I probably need to register with some company to 'enable').

Clicking on ? gets you their support forum, which comes up in Seamonkey 1.0 (which I never installed to my Slackware 11). So Seamonkey works with Slackware 11 too. I don't know if it uses pieces of firefox, but it works even if I rename the firefox directory to firefox-bak. Firefox won't load while I am online with BL2 (dialup) and chrooted to SW11 but Seamonkey has no such problems. I even unpackaged the tar.gz again in case it got damanged by skipstone but no action. firefox-bin, run-mozilla.sh and firefox all show up in top use 0.0% cpu and little memory.

Seamonkey works at att.com site where Opera fails. Version 1.0.5 from 2006, which looks simpler than Firefox 1.5. Uses about 2MB memory and is only part of a 6MB phone program. Firefox 1.5 tar file is 26MB.
Where can it be found standalone?

I may install a minimal BL2 in a separate partition and copy over as much of Slackware 11 libraries as is needed to run Firefox and X-lite.
Would BL3 X also work?

Xtensoftphone is using 95.4% of cpu time and 2.7% of memory, and seamonkey-bin no cpu and 2.6% of memory (1GB memory). Just sitting there doing nothing. When I exit Seamonkey the phone part uses just as much cpu time. Running lots of processes at once. This is NOT an efficient way to use Seamonkey (as part of the phone program). It is also in a small box produced by fwm (how do you enlarge it?).

A console-mode soft phone would be nice.

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
There is a cheap internet phone service SIP (www.sipphone.com) which is
$3/month for unlimited incoming calls, 2 cents/min outgoing calls within
the US (1.7 cents to China, other rates to other places), and you call
from your computer via broadband or dialup.

Someone else recommended jajah, which is $10 for six weeks but might require a mobile phone. Use from their website with any (?) browser.

For Windows, Mac or Linux.

They have RPM, DEB, Freespire/Linspire and tarball linux packages that
require:

GTK+ 2.6 or later

X-lite needed libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, which Slackware 11 does have. Is this version 2.0 of GTK+?

libstdc++ 5 or 6 (Slackware 11 has 6)
Gconf - what library would this be?

You can download the 10MB GUI software, or buy an $80 phone to plug into your router instead, I am told.

This was only 2MB download.