baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and opera
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:43:24 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009

....you can add a 48MB swap file (see the archives about how).

I have a 210 Mb hd with 34 Mb with DOS, 32 Mb linux swap and 144 Mb for bl2.
Now I have only 60 mb, about, of free space.

Swap is supposed to be 1.5 times RAM, unless you have a lot of RAM.
(I don't use swap if I have over 64MB RAM).

BL3 will use much less space than BL2 because for BL3 Steven picked out just the required pieces instead of whole packages.

You can delete all the man pages (you have broadband, look online).
And doc, and info, and timezone (/usr/share/zoneinfo).

....... if you will
use the computer only with one router whose IP number is 192.168.0.1,
instead of using dhcp, which searches for and assigns IP numbers, manually
assign your computer 192.168.0.2 or 3 or 4.... using the command:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2

May I do that? I have one router but I believed I must use dhcp for my
connection: it is indicated as a PPPoE connection by my ISP.

I do this all the time to connect to my router.

You can put this in rc.S (or rc in BL3) along with the network module (insmod 3c58x).

And removepkg tcpip1 to make more space.

I have about 75MB of BL3 including several versions of links2, lynx, opera, sound, svgalib, and much more.

Regards,
Giuseppe