baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and opera
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:35:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Salve,
Thank you all for so many hints.

Sindi wrote:

To run Opera 8 or 9 in BL2, get
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/operalib.tgz
This is the very minimum of libraries needed for Opera.

These libraries are taken out of the glibc 2.2.5 so package for Slackware 8.1. Steven uses the Slackware 9.0 libraries. Later versions of glibc from Slackware will not work with a 2.2 kernel.

libc is about 1.3MB and the others are smaller. Under 3MB total.
You probably did not run out of disk space.

(I am using a 5MB glibc which is probably from the full glibc developer's package, which might be needed for compiling not just running programs.
Also my libm is about 550K rather than 150K. Steven, why are these two files so much larger?).

I tried to install the package opearlib.tgz but the computer stopped ("
installing ...) and there was no way to exit by keyboard or mouse except
than phisically powerdown. When restarted it couldn't load bl.

You might have a bad hard drive or other hardware problem.
If this happens again, when reinstalling BL2

mke2fs -c /dev/hda1 (or hda2 etc.)

-c Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file system.
If this option is specified twice, then a slower, read-write test is used instead of a fast read-only test.

If you have more than a few bad sectors, try to get a different drive, or if you must use this one, partition around the bad area. DOS scandisk will show you where it is, if it is only one area.

I reinstalled bl2 (I had no data yet).

Now I have bl2 (gui with xsvga driver, 24 color depth).

Congratulations. Please also try Xvesa from BL3 or X.org because it uses half as much memory (about 1MB instead of about 2MB) and you have only 32MB.

I tried to run Opera 6 but it complains it can't find: ligpthread.so.0

The missing library libpthread is part of glibc. I included it and other required parts of glibc 2.2.5 solibs in operalib.tgz. glibc 2.2.5 or later is needed for Opera 8 and 9, but the Slackware 7 version should work for 6. You don't need the other parts of glibc. Steven's instructions and library package include a lot more files, some of which are used by other X programs.

Opera also needs libSM and libICE, which BL2 already has because icewm window manager also uses them.

The same trying to run Opera 8.54 (but in this case I may suppose there are
many more...)
It would be possible to add this library?

It works fine for me in BL3. I already have the larger versions of these libraries in BL2 because I use them to compile with.

Thank you for help.

Giuseppe