baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and opera
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:31:29 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Sindi,
Thank you very much for help.

I installed glibc.solibs 2.3.1. and misc-libs (which complained for lacking
of doinstall.sh or somethint...) as for bl3.

If you want to save space on your hard drive, you can look at what is in the glibc package and delete most of it, just keeping the files that are named the same as in my package - libc, libm, libdl, ld-linux, ldconfig, libnss, libpthread, and libresolv. You don't need the other libraries.
rm -r /usr/lib/gconv unless you want to use other languages and if so, delete all but your language (how does gconv work?)

Then I downloaded, untar and run opera 8.54. It complains lack of a plug-in
("please install motif...") but it works for g-mail and https which I was
interested. It is not very fast but much faster than the speed I was used to
in ppp connection.

It always complains about the plug-in and motif and works anyway.

It will run faster if you view without graphics (set in View or preferences), and with (Tools, Appearance) Windows skin instead of Standard skin, to use less memory. Otherwise you will be continually swapping to the swap partition which I hope you made for this computer. Or you can add a 48MB swap file (see the archives about how).

Links 0.93 for usual text browsing is incredibly fast. For this machine (and
hd....) that is at the moment more than I could expect.

BTW I have a minor problem.
With links 0.93, the one in bl2, I can't connect with most, almost all, ftp
sites ("ftp port command failed") which I could reach with the same links in
ppp connection, actually the mirror site
ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/. I can connect those
sites with opera.

Try links123 with ssl support compiled for BL3, but you will need libc.so.5 (580K) and libdl.so.1 (60K) from libc5 solibs package.

To connect with ADSL via dhcp I did the following:
insmod 3c59x.o
I installed tcpip1.tgz from slackware 7.1 (following a hint found in the bl
archive) and run dhcp.

BL3 includes dhcp in busybox. (You can try using BL3 busybox instead of BL2 busybox but it might require changing some symlinks). You don't need the entire tcpip1.tgz package for BL2, just dhcp itself, or if you will use the computer only with one router whose IP number is 192.168.0.1, instead of using dhcp, which searches for and assigns IP numbers, manually
assign your computer 192.168.0.2 or 3 or 4.... using the command:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2

and removepkg tcpip1 to save space.

It would be easier if you just used BL3 to start with and added glibc.

Sindi

After installation I have a ftp directory in /home.
Have I to configure something in that directory? Or is that a problem
related to links browser?

Thank you.
Regards,

Giuseppe