baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop sound
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:33:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I still had to insmod sb despite it being built in.
This is apparently ISA sound and needs the io irq
and dma specified. Is there some way to specify them
at boot time with loadlin instead of insmodding the
driver after you boot?

----------------------------------
Loadlin parameters for sound cards:
----------------------------------

sound=0x0TTPPPID, ..

Would this be:

sound=0x0??220A01 (See below for ?? - TT)

all values are enbedded in one longint, the above format
shows a hex number, each place is a hex-digit

TT Supported card type.

This is the index into the list of configured cards
If all cards are configured (which normally is not the case)
the following order is kept:
Roland MPU-401
Gravis Ultrasound
ProAudio Spectrum
SoundBlaster
SoundBlaster 16
SB16 MPU-401 (SB16-MIDI port)
AdLib

If I have one sound card is TT 01?

PPP Port Address
220 (changed from 240 in BIOS, the default)

I IRQ

10 (hex A) - upper or lower case A or a?
I could change it in BIOS to 05.

D DMA Channel

01 (00 or 02 should also work)

mcdp plays audio CDs if you read the html help file. Type 1 to play track 1 after it starts up, q to quit.

playmidi (-f or -4 for fm synthesis) is still not working, just gives me back the prompt. I insmodded opl3 - that may need to also be built into the kernel. I will try timidity but my only transfer method at the moment is a serial nullmodem cable and I cannot get it to ping after setting up a PPP network:

I looked up the instructions in the 2004 archive.

plug nullmodem cable into COM1/ttys0 on both computers. Laptop has one comport. Com1 works with a mouse on the desktop (PS/2 does not).

insmod slhc and ppp (on the desktop ppp_generic and ppp_async, 2.4.31)

Set up ppp network:

Computer 1 (2.2.16 kernel on laptop):
pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2 local crtscts noauth
ifconfig ppp0 192.168.1.1

Computer 2 (2.4.31 kernel on desktop):
pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 192.168.1.2:192.168.1.1 local crtscts noauth
ifconfig ppp0 192.168.1.2

I can ping the computer I am on but not the other. Did I do something backwards? I tried both ways, I think. Network is not accessible.

I wanted to use send/receive to transfer timidity and mplayer.

play-mp3 might also play online mp3s.