baslinux - [BL] laptop sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] laptop sound
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:29:03 +0000 (UTC)

BL2 on a Toshiba Satellite 420CDT, 100MHz, 24MB RAM.
Custom 2.2.16 kernel with sound support as modules.

Chips and Technology video works at 800x600 with X_SVGA.
svgalib works with the default drive (with libvga.config set to chipset VGA - it works in full color, otherwise won't display jpegs).

Audio chip is said to be ESS688, which is fully sb compatible.
It appears to be ISA not PCI, since after I
insmod soundcore
insmod soundlow (2.2.16 kernel)
insmod sound
insmod uart401
insmod opl3 io=0x388 [for FM synthesis of midi sounds]
insmod sb

I am told io irq and dma are obligatory (ISA not PCI sound chip)
Web research suggests irq 10.

insmod sb io=0x220 irq=10 dma=1

sb: dsp reset failed
sb: init_module: sb: Device or resource busy.

This suggests I have the wrong module (not an sb-compatible).
(One BL newbie reported these same error messages to linuxquestions and turned out to have a non-sb sound chip onboard).

What else might I try? I could make a Smart Boot Manager floppy boot disk and try to boot DSL from CD (non-graphical, type DSL 2 at Boot: prompt) and see if it will identify the chip, but someone else reported that DSL does not work with a similar Toshiba model. Several websites say this model has ESS688 which is sb.

I could try a Slackware bare.i kernel (or is there a specific sound kernel?).

I also have a DELL with ESS1688 sound that supposedly is also sb.

Sindi Keesan