baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop sound
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:23:57 +0000 (UTC)

My 2.2.16 kernels with sound support (sb - 480K and fsm - 505K includes framebuffer and scsi) work perfectly with the ESS688 sound chip on my Toshiba 420CDT laptop.

insmod soundcore soundlow sound uart401 opl3 sb (with parameters)

The 2.2.26 p1 kernel for BL 3.50 is 430K and also works with this laptop with the above modules. (No soundlow needed).

If you don't need USB storage, don't read further.

My 2.4.31 smf kernel (sound scsi framebuffer) gets unresolved symbols on this laptop, though it works fine on my desktops with true SB16 cards.

As with PDA and IDE-PCI modules, the drivers for this chip work properly in 2.4.31 only if built into the kernel. I compiled a smaller version of the smf kernel (no scsi, mtrr, usb kbd/mouse; cd and vfat as modules only) with sound built in and vesafb (no other framebuffer support).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimlsbf.431 and conflsfb.431
lsbf - laptop sb framebuffer about 670K.

I answered Y to SOUND OSS and SB, and I still had to insmod sb despite it being built in. This is apparently ISA sound and needs the io irq and dma specified. Is there some way to specify them at boot time with loadlin instead of insmodding the driver after you boot?

Sindi Keesan