baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop sound
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:21:58 +0000 (UTC)

According to the kernel compiling documentation, if you compile sb (Soundblaster) into the kernel and don't want to use isapnp (this is an ISA sound chip on the board, or maybe a plugin card of some type), you need to put on the kernel command line (loadlin or lilo):

None of my laptop sb sound chips (ESS688 ESS1688 ESS1868) works with the sound drivers or even just sb loaded as modules, with 2.4 kernel (but modules will work with 2.2 kernels).

You also need to boot with parameters if you compile into the kernel 16-bit Yamaha OPL3-SA2 (opl3sa2), found in my Gateway Solo 2300 200MHz laptop. Use Steven's opl3sa2.o module (not opl3 or opl3sa.) The BIOS lets you set io, irq (default is 11), dma1 and dma2.

One site said to use:
insmod opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 ymode=0 isapnp=1 multiple=0

Presumably you could compile it into the kernel and add to loadlin line: opl3sa2 io=....

First insmod soundcore and sound?

midi support appears to be part of this module (you don't need opl3 as for sb).

Someone suggested trying it with sb emulation.

sbpro emulation is also suggested for the ESS1878 and sb16 emulation for the 1879 in Hitachi laptops of this era. sb.o for both. sb16 has two dma's. FM synthesized midi is said not to work with the 1878 in linux (it did not work for me with 688 or 1688 ESS). Most of the Hitachi links at linux for laptops were broken. SVGA X server is not accelerated and wastes cpu time - is Xvesa accelerated? F2 for setup of Hitachi.

Sindi

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I still had to insmod sb despite it being built in.
This is apparently ISA sound and needs the io irq
and dma specified. Is there some way to specify them
at boot time with loadlin instead of insmodding the
driver after you boot?

Loadlin parameters for sound cards:

sound=0x0TTPPPID, ..