baslinux - [BL] dbf to sql convertor, was Re: Spanish dollybase, was Re: DBF database package xdb-1.2.0 for glibc225

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] dbf to sql convertor, was Re: Spanish dollybase, was Re: DBF database package xdb-1.2.0 for glibc225
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:29:28 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dbf-0.8.3.1-glibc225 16K
See below for details.
Use to convert dBaseIII to format which I hope sqlite will import.

Sindi wrote

I have posted dollybase (dbase) and the pdf help file converted to text
as http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dollybase.tgz (about 90K)

The instructions are in Spanish. The program is in English. I have not
got it to import its own test file books.dbf. CDBF will import that.

I created a small sample file without entries, and CDBF database program
says it is incorrect format. dollybase is set to create dBase II. I
could change to III or IV in theory, but when I try 'SET VERSION has no
effect since is not implemented in libdollybase' (prealpha)

It complains about not finding -ll

-lform -lmenu and -lcurses instruct ld to link against dynamic libraries
libform libmenu and libcurses

What on earth is -ll ? The search engines won't search on it for me.
"cannot find -ll" came up in a search in reference to configuring.

-ll is llib or lex library, which has been replaced by flex in Slackware 7.1 (and probably earlier). This is an old library for which I have not yet found source code. Lexical analyzer, probably essential to the operation of the program. The latest dollybase code is 2005 but it is probably originally a much older program. I cannot find the author.

Where would I look for lex library? I also found it mentioned along with PostGreSQL. Many sites just assumed you already had libl.so or libl.a in /usr/lib.

The other solution is to convert dbf to sql and use sqlite:

CDBF produced something that I could not get sqlite to import, that started each line with a sentence about importing into the file. Buggy?

After much hunting, I found 'dbf' which converts dbf files to csv and sql. Also 2005. 0.9.0 alpha two parts totalling 1.6MB or 0.8.3.1 stable 25K total. berlios.de (delilinux?). dBase III not II (dolly did II). sql export since 0.6 version. Works on WIndows and Mac OSX and Darwin and BSD and linux.

The alpha version is not Windows precompiled. bug fixes, better man, separate library package. But much larger. I don't think I need the features.

The small version compiled in 2 seconds. libc dependency only. 16K stripped. 2003. No man page, just a FAQ for version 0.3 which says to use gcc -o dbf dbf.c and that there is no Makefile. There is now a Makefile for linux, mac and solaris.

dbf -h for instructions.

dbf -sql filename.sql filename.dbf
dbf -csv ...
A few other options such as separator to use in csv.

1 second to convert a 425K dbf to a 530K sql file (with lots of ' added).

Now to learn sqlite....

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dbf-0.8.3.1-glibc225

Perhaps Steven could include the libc5 version of this with sqlite which is apparently uclibc-static and is 750K, 2004, ver 2.8.15. They are now up to 3.5.9 with a 184K precompiled binary. 1MB source code with configure and makefile. Plus 1.27M docs. Rather heavy for a 'lite'.
2.8 sources also available.

uclibc-static version on request (if I can remember how to make one).

The links to mirrors at the BL site need updating again.
Japan and Planetmirror are gone, Lithuania is stuck on looking up host, zuul continues making connection, but Utah and Brasil work.