baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steven,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
> monz wrote:
> >
> > BTW, i never did get BL set up so that i could
> > switch between JWM and icewm ... would still
> > like to get that right.
>
> Did you try editing: /root/.xintrc ?
> That enables you to choose which wm will come up
> when you startx. However, it doesn't enable you
> to change window managers on the fly.

The "restart jwm - jwm" line goes into the
~/.icewm/menu file, correct?

So then what exactly do i have to put into
/root/.xinitrc to be able to switch between
the two? I only know how to start one or the
other, by putting "exec jwm" and "exec icewm"
and commenting out one of them.

> > I also couldn't get links2 to work
>
> What was the specific problem?

I don't remember now ... that was in a virtual
machine, but it was configured like the Compaq,
not like this Toshiba. I'm making a VM for the
Toshiba right now, and will try it out and
report back.

> > and i would really like to have that.
>
> >From an xterm, excute: links2ssl -g
>
> > But for this small Toshiba (12 MB RAM, 500 MB HD),
> > i think Opera kind of defeats the point of BL:
> > keep it small and simple. Can you (or anyone)
> > tell me about how much space Opera needs in BL,
> > and if you think it might work on this machine?
>
> I strongly recommend that you do not use Opera on
> that machine. It will perform badly. links2ssl
> is the best browser for a 486 with 12mb RAM.

Thanks. You have corroborated my gut instinct.

I'm amazed that there's a version of Opera which
gives me internet on my Nokia 6102 cell phone,
which is now several years old and considered
basically obsolete.

But there are limits to what can be done with
hardware from the previous millenium! ;-)

-monz