baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
>
> Yes, the PCMCIA port is behind the trackball port;
> however, between the the trackball port and PCMCIA
> port there should be two PS/2 ports. Look carefully
> at the right edge of the trackball port. There
> should be a plastic tab. Slide the tab to the left
> so that it covers the trackball port. That should
> uncover the PS/2 ports (which are behind a little
> door immediately behind the trackball port).

OK, this machine is slightly different from the
one you have. I see the PS/2 ports now -- they're
on the back (not the right side), behind a door
which also covers the parallel, serial, and video
ports.

> > which has an old modem card plugged in
> (but without the dongle on the end).
>
> Have you looked at the card closely? Some Toshiba
> 486 laptops had external memory slots with memory
> cards that looked like PCMCIA cards.

Yes, i pulled it out. It's a 33.6 modem, but
without the dongle, there's no way to connect.
I'm never going to use dial-up again anyway,
unless there is no other alternative.

> > Behind that, at the rear of the right side, is
> > an empty hole which also has a pcmcia connector
> > at the back, but it's double-card height, with
> > only one connector at the bottom.
>
> If you have two separate holes, then one is probably
> PCMCIA and the other is for Toshiba memory
> expansion.

There's another little door on the left side,
just above the mic and earphone ports, and there's
a white card in there that i would have to pry
out somehow to see what it is. That's probably
the memory expansion.

> > I have a Kingston Datapak 340 (MB) hard-drive
> > on a pcmcia card. I tried plugging it in to
> > that port, and BL did see it there.
>
> Did you get two high beeps?
>
> > Unfortunately i don't have a driver for it, so i
> > couldn't mount it.
>
> If you got two high beeps, then BL3 can probably
> mount it (assuming your Datapak is IDE).

It is IDE, and BL recognized it as such.
But i think i got a low beep instead of
2 high beeps, and there was an error message
saying that it was unavailable.

I'll have to try it again and post the boot
message that it gives me. I didn't get the
message that you posted.

-monz