baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on Toshiba T4800CT
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:54:04 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
monz wrote:

> A white plastic surface with 5 gold ovals on it?

Yes, that is the port for the trackball.

> ... directly behind what must be the trackball
> port is a pcmcia port,

Yes, the PCMCIA port is behind the trackball port;
however, between the the trackball port and PCMCIA
port there should be two PS/2 ports. Look carefully
at the right edge of the trackball port. There
should be a plastic tab. Slide the tab to the left
so that it covers the trackball port. That should
uncover the PS/2 ports (which are behind a little
door immediately behind the trackball port).

> which has an old modem card plugged in (but without
> the dongle on the end).

Have you looked at the card closely? Some Toshiba
486 laptops had external memory slots with memory
cards that looked like PCMCIA cards.

> Behind that, at the rear of the right side, is
> an empty hole which also has a pcmcia connector
> at the back, but it's double-card height, with
> only one connector at the bottom.

If you have two separate holes, then one is probably
PCMCIA and the other is for Toshiba memory expansion.

> I have a Kingston Datapak 340 (MB) hard-drive
> on a pcmcia card. I tried plugging it in to
> that port, and BL did see it there.

Did you get two high beeps?

> Unfortunately i don't have a driver for it, so i
> couldn't mount it.

If you got two high beeps, then BL3 can probably
mount it (assuming your Datapak is IDE). After
you get two hight beeps, look on the screen a few
lines from the bottom. You should see something
like this:
------------------------------------
cardmgr: executing './ide start hdc'
------------------------------------
hdc (or whatever you get) is the designation
assigned to your Datapak. To mount the first
partition do:
---------------------
mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
---------------------
That assumes hdc was assigned to your HD.

> Any drivers available for that which will
> work in BL?

BL3 comes with the standard PCMCIA IDE driver
-- that should work with all IDE cards (HDs,
CDroms and compact flash). BL3 also comes
with the standard PCMCIA serial driver
(for modems) and the most common non-wireless
network driver. Additional PCMCIA drivers
are available at the BL3 site.