baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:59:11 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
ljones wrote:

> > Yes, BL3 comes with only one PCMCIA network module
> > (pcnet) and it defaults to that module for all
> > network cards.
>
> Ok, I've tried putting all those driver files
> into /pcmcia again.

They don't go in /pcmcia
They go into /lib/modules/2.2.26/pcmcia

> This time I got slightly further. I still got the errors --
>
> pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address for io base 0x240

The pcnet module has been activated (it shouldn't be).
The card manager is not finding your orinoco trigger.
The most likely reason for this is you put the
orinoco trigger after the default "Network Card"
trigger (pcnet). Apparently your card is being
identified as a network card.

> The config file now reads for the drivers:
>
> card "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card"
> manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
> bind "orinoco_cs"

That needs to appear above the lines for card
"Network Card". Or you can simply delete the
three card "Network Card" lines (if you are
never going to use a pcnet network card).

> after googling for a while, I came across some
> alternative lines for the card/manfid;
>
> card "Netgear MA401RA"
> manfid 0x000b, 0x7300
> bind "orinoco_cs"

So, which card do you have? MA401 or MA401RA?
You said MA401 previously, so those were the
manfid numbers I used. However, we shouldn't
be guessing the manfid numbers. You should
read the correct manfid numbers directly from
your card:
-----------
cardmgr -ov
-----------
That should list lots of data (including your
manfid numbers). If it doesn't, execute
/etc/pcmcia/start and then the above line.

> Oops: 0002
> CPU: 0
> EIP : 0010[<c18246ee>]
> EFLAGS: 00010246
> ..
> There are also call trace values in dmesg,
> finally ending with "segmentation fault"
> right at the end.
>
> Wonder what's going on? x.x !

It appears that the module is failing. A common
reason for this is kernel/module mismatch. Are
you absolutely sure all three modules came from
the BL3 site?

orinoco.o 44564
orinoco_cs.o 7152
hermes.o 8260

Please check the md5sums for those files:
36f8686edff51690ec9d73520ba2b9f9 orinoco.o
ac82f595923578edb95141f69eab1f5c orinoco_cs.o
a4470e73b46d013a04c1f06c22291077 hermes.o