baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:36:24 +0000

> Green light is a good start.
>
> Are you sure you have the correct card and device lines for this card? It
> looks like it is bound to pcnet_cs. The BL pcmcia config is not complete
> (I am not in BL now, cannot check) and Steven may have set it up to use
> pcnet_cs by default for all network cards, and you need to put in the
> specific lines for your card. Look in the Slackware config (pcmcia.tgz)
> for your card and copy the lines for it, and then the device lines for the
> driver to which it is bound.
>
> Write back if you need help with this, or read the pcmcia howto.
>
> Sindi

I checked slackware 4's config file in pcmcia.tgz, but it didn't
mention the MA401 card. Neither did slackare 8. In the end I did find
a reference in the equivilent file in Slackware 10;

card "Netgear MA401RA Wireless Adapter"
version "NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC", "Card"
bind "orinoco_cs"

That's prettty similar to what I put in the config file, instead I use
(as per the message above);

card "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "orinoco_cs"

So they're both binding to the same driver, orinoco_cs .

But confusingly in slackware 10's config file, the device lines look like
this;

device "orinoco_cs"
#class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "orinoco_cs"

Yet on the orinoco driver page, they caution against doing this --

(Referring to the error message "get dev info on socket 1 failed")
.... In particular it can be cause if you attempt to use the orinoco
driver by putting:

device "wvlan_cs"
class "network" module "orinoco_cs"

or similar in /etc/pcmcia/config. Instead you must individually bind
each card to the "orinoco_cs" device.

Which is weird, as the orinoco driver instructions contradict the
slackware file! Confusing :) !

ljones