baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:09:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Green light is a good start.

Are you sure you have the correct card and device lines for this card? It
looks like it is bound to pcnet_cs. The BL pcmcia config is not complete
(I am not in BL now, cannot check) and Steven may have set it up to use
pcnet_cs by default for all network cards, and you need to put in the
specific lines for your card. Look in the Slackware config (pcmcia.tgz)
for your card and copy the lines for it, and then the device lines for the
driver to which it is bound.

Write back if you need help with this, or read the pcmcia howto.

Sindi

I checked slackware 4's config file in pcmcia.tgz, but it didn't
mention the MA401 card. Neither did slackare 8. In the end I did find
a reference in the equivilent file in Slackware 10;

card "Netgear MA401RA Wireless Adapter"
version "NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC", "Card"
bind "orinoco_cs"

That's prettty similar to what I put in the config file, instead I use
(as per the message above);

card "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "orinoco_cs"

There are several possible ways to write these three lines. The first line is only to remind you what the card is. The second can specify either manfid, or version (the info after 'product info').

So they're both binding to the same driver, orinoco_cs .

But confusingly in slackware 10's config file, the device lines look like
this;

device "orinoco_cs"
#class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "orinoco_cs"

Probably these lines are for different kernel versions.
Slackware 10.0 uses a later kernel. The BL kernel needs three modules.

Download all of these modules for the BL kernel (from the BL site) and put them with the other pcmcia modules. Delete the third line and remove the # from the second line.

Yet on the orinoco driver page, they caution against doing this --

(Referring to the error message "get dev info on socket 1 failed")
.... In particular it can be cause if you attempt to use the orinoco
driver by putting:

device "wvlan_cs"
class "network" module "orinoco_cs"
or similar in /etc/pcmcia/config. Instead you must individually bind
each card to the "orinoco_cs" device.

Which is weird, as the orinoco driver instructions contradict the
slackware file! Confusing :) !

Not all instructions are kept up to date or consistent.
wvlan is I think an older driver that was replaced by orinoco.

Sindi

ljones