baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:32:54 +0000

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:43 AM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Message from Steven
> ===================
>
> Sindi wrote:
> >
> > Steven may have set it up to use pcnet_cs by default
> > for all network cards,
>
> Yes, BL3 comes with only one PCMCIA network module
> (pcnet) and it defaults to that module for all
> network cards. Most of the 1990s PCMCIA network
> cards used pcnet, so if you are using a 1990s card
> the chances of BL3 automatically finding your card
> are good. With more recent PCMCIA network cards
> the chances are not so good -- probably you will
> need a different module (which hopefully you will
> find at the BL3 site) and you will need to edit
> /etc/pcmcia/config to install that module.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

Ok, I've tried putting all those driver files into /pcmcia again. This
time I got slightly further. I still got the errors --

pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address for io base 0x240
Apr 10 18:09:25 cardmgr[23]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: No such device
Apr 10 18:09:25 cardmgr[23]: exiting

The config file now reads for the drivers:
device "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

card "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "orinoco_cs"

But still no joy. But after googling for a while, I came across some
alternative lines for the card/manfid;

(found here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/netgear-ma401-redhat-8.0-43450/
)

card "Netgear MA401RA"
manfid 0x000b, 0x7300
bind "orinoco_cs"

So I tried this instead and it almost worked. Looking through dmesg
this pulled in orinoco and orinoco_cs, but then crashed *badly* (in
dmesg) --

Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP : 0010[<c18246ee>]
EFLAGS: 00010246
..
..
There are also call trace values in dmesg, finally ending with
"segmentation fault" right at the end.

Wonder what's going on? x.x !

ljones