baslinux - [BL] 3COM PCMCIA, BL3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] 3COM PCMCIA, BL3.5
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:02:24 -0700

Greetings. I have tried the search and browsed back a few months for help with this problem but to no avail. I have an old laptop with  a 3c589d PCMCIA ethernet card. In my searching it has become apparently that this card can and does work with BL, with a little work.

I've grabbed the (I believe) correct module from: http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/pcmcia/

copied it into /lib/modules/2.2.26/pcmcia/

edited /etc/pcmcia/config by adding:
device "3c589_cs"
class "network" module "3c589_cs"
to the beginning and changing the Network Card definition from
bind "pcnet_cs" to bind "3c589_cs"

Then executed /etc/pcmcia/start and got a high beep... then another high beep, success! ifconfig was reporting eth0 and dmesg showed the PC card as 3c589_cs. No errors yet.

I tried to get an address from the router by running udhcpc and it couldn't find /dev/urandom and could never get a response from the router. As well, the activity lights on the card remained off the entire time. After a reboot and again trying /etc/pcmcia/start, with no changes made to anything, now cardmgr is giving the error "Card Services release does not match". My version is 3.2.7. I have no idea. I'm not by any means a Linux guru or even a Linux user, and I am piecing this together solely through use of Google. I'd appreciate any help.

Steve.