baslinux - Re: [BL] 3COM PCMCIA, BL3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 3COM PCMCIA, BL3.5
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:23:29 -0700

I believe the problem is now a bad dongle on the PCMCIA card. I've tested the ethernet cable and router. I'm going to be looking into 16-Bit wireless cards just to avoid the possibility of errors from bad cables. It's a lot simpler.
20080406051553.02af99f6.ln8d-on8g AT dea.spamcon.org" type="cite">
Message from Steven
===================
Steve wrote:

I can confirm the router as working.

And the cable?

The address I used was 192.168.1.87.

So you are doing:
---------------------
ifconfig 192.168.1.87
---------------------

The other address on the network is 192.168.1.73.

Good, the two addresses are compatible.  I assume
that is another computer.  Do you know the address
of the router?  Have you tried pinging the router?

Running ifconfig before and after assigning it
an IP showed the device eth0.  After assigning
the IP it displayed eth0 as having the IP.

It appears that your eth0 interface as been
correctly configured.

pinging the other machine resulted in nothing
(100% packet loss)

When this a happens to me, it is always a hardware
problem.  Usually a faulty/wrong/unconnected cable.
It could also be that the port on your network card
(or router) is faulty.  If your PCMCIA network card
has a dongle, the problem could lie there.  Dongles
are pretty easily mangled.  You might even have the
wrong dongle (just because the dongle physically
connects to the card, doesn't mean it's the right
dongle).

Try swapping network cables.  Try a different port
on the router.  If you have crossover cable, try
a direct connected between two systems.  Try the
PCMCIA card in a known working system.  Etc. Etc.

When I run cardmgr, it executes "./network start"
at the end.  My /etc/pcmcia/network file is empty.

That is correct.  The /etc/pcmcia/network file should
be blank.  It is there for you to use (if you wish).
Normally, you put your ifconfig (or udhcpc) statement
in that file to automate the configuration.

Is there supposed to be information in this file?

Not yet.  Once everything is working via the command
line, you can put the appropriate commands in that
file.