baslinux - Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:09:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Steven, can you explain how to use X this way with
the client as X terminal?

AFAIK you simply run ssh from a local xterm,
and (after you have logged in) you execute
any X executable on the remote system. The
output should appear on your local screen.
This, of course, assumes that the remote
system permits you to do this.

I tried this as follows (in BL2) on my one computer (which makes me both local and remote systems):

as root, type dropbear (enter) to start the server ('remote system')
log in as user on the same terminal
as user, start x and rxvt (or start them as root, then log in as user)
dbclient user AT 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP)
y, give password, get logged in

type opera (actually my script to use it without installing)
opera: cannot connect to X server

links2 nongraphical works in the xterm

links2 graphical asks if the svgalib_helper module is loaded (it is).
cannot open /dev/svga. I can run links2 as user if I am not ssh'ed (dbcliented) first. This is a different problem from the X server.

What do I try next?

My BL2 shadow problem explained:

1. BL2 download came with /etc/shadow containing blank passwords.
I don't recall if there was also /etc/passwd.

2. I used busybox which I compiled without shadow password support to change my root and user passwords, which changed /etc/passwd to have password, but left /etc/shadow with blank passwords

3. Busybox consults /etc/passwd for logins, but dropbear consults /etc/shadow and determined I have a blank password.

Steven's BL3 setup works fine. If you use a full useradd package from Slackware 7.1 presumably it will create a new shadow file. The BL2 busybox does not have passwd or adduser. If you use my busybox 1.3.2, delete shadow after running passwd or adduser. (And use it with 2.4 kernel).