baslinux - Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:13:00 +1300

Message from Steven
===================

wget -O- http://www.grex.org/~keesan/resume.txt | less

> Does BL3 loop boot more slowly on older computers because
> it uncompressess fs.gz?

fs.gz? Do you mean fs.img? fs.img is not compressed.

> Would a upx'ed gzipped executable unpack any faster
> or slower than a non-upx'ed one?

Obviously un-UPXing a file will take time. So executing
a non-UPXed file will be faster.

> ~10 MB/sec on an ancient Pentium 133,

I use BL3 on four laptops that are slower than 133 MHz.

> How fast would a 33MHz 486 decompress? 1MB/sec?

I suspect it would be much slower than that.

> The advantage of UPX would be if you are short of hard disk space (in a
> 20MB loop that you don't know how to enlarge) or for floppy disk if you
> want to include more programs.
>
> Kermit shrinks from 2.1MB to 760K. It took about 2 sec to load
> (longer to type). Non-upxed kermit loaded perceptibly faster (instant)
> but perhaps it was already in cache from loading the upx-ed version.
> This is on a very fast (1.2GHz) computer.

2 sec delay on a 1200 MHz system. Wow, that's worse than I expected.