baslinux - Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 03:51:32 +0000 (UTC)

I tried piping to pico

You can't pipe to pico or e3. Text editors normally
accept a filename, not a stream of text. Perhaps a
more comprehensive text editor (like vi) can handle
piping?

I don't need to pipe to a text editor, was just experimenting.

What is the operating speed ratio of 33MHz 486 to 133Mhz pentium?
I figured 1/4 x 1/2 = 1/8.

bogoMIPs on a 486 DX-33 = 6
bogoMIPs on a Pentium 133 = 53

2392 on my fast pentium 1200. So if a program takes 1 second to load on this computer, 400 seconds (over 6 min) on the 33MHz 486 if only bogoMIPS mattered. (What does a BbgoMIP measure?) Opera 7 is taking 7 seconds loading the first time. Opera 6 loaded on my Pentium-overdrive 60MHz 486 in real time. There must be some overhead time that is not all that different between computers.

The thing that slowed down my 3MB RAM 386 laptop was the speed of the LCD monitor.

However, I'm not sure uncompression times are solely
proportional to speed. Subjectively, it takes longer
than that on slower machines. Perhaps RAM is a factor
too? Older computers typically have less RAM and
sometimes that RAM (and/or RAM cache) is significantly
slower than on more up-to-date systems.

I can compare loading times for Opera on a 100MHz laptop and this 1200MHz with the same amounts of RAM (24MB or less specified with mem=24M). Then see if upx slows it down on the 100MHz.

Is there a way to clear programs from buffer?

Reboot the computer.

I did that. Did not notice any different in speed between upxed and non upxed opera. (It loads fine from the opera wrapper, not the binary, but 9.23 won't let you load it that way for 'user', only 'root'. 8.52 complains about preferences for user. I have 7.23 working for user, probably by copying over the contents of .opera from /root and changing permissions.)

upx could be useful in the 20MB loop, on a pentium.

As I've said before, I will not be using UPX for BL3.

Users can get Samir's upx, if we want to run large programs on a fast computer in a small loop. Or maybe include more on a floppy disk, assuming Samir fixes the segfaults. No need to include upx or upx the files in BL download file.