baslinux - Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] busybox 1.01 ftpput help file is wrong
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:03:14 +0000 (UTC)

I don't think you can get multiple files with the busybox wget (* is not
found). What does busybox wget do which links cannot do?
Sindi

Doesn't the command

wget --help

offer any information? (I use the full wget and with that it sure does.)

/Olle

The help file is so cryptic it made no sense to me so I consulted man wget for real wget:

-P Set directory prefix to DIR
This means you can specify which directory to save a file to.

-U Adjust 'User-Agent' field - no idea what this does, let you log in
to a non public site with login and then password? Real wget says 'identify as agent'.

-O Save to filename (write doc to file)

Links can do all of these. I forget how to login with links or wget.

-Y use proxy (on or off) - never needed this

-q quiet mode - do not print

-c continue retrieval of aborted transfers.

Would one start wget with -c the first time or just subsequent times? This is the only advantage I know of for busybox wget. And in my experience busybox wget aborts transfers more often than kermit ftp does.

The full wget has several pages of help file, mostly more understandable than the busybox ones even though sometimes written in fewer words. There does not seem to be a non-busybox ftpput with correct instructions, which makes it rather stupid to refuse to fix the broken instructions. I ran across someone asking at the busybox.net forum about extending wget, and why there should be wget and ftpget with overlapping functions, and why there was not a real ftp in busybox.

Anyone doing long transfers is likely to have installed BL to hard disk (or at least to 20MB of DOS partition) and should get the full wget.
For a minimal BL, is wget really needed? If both ftpput and wget were omitted, would it make space for Samir's asm ftp? 26K upx'ed. No --help or -help or -h or any docs in the ftp.tgz. It connects
ftp ftp.freeshell.org (no ftp:// needed as for wget)
Log in then type 'help' or '?'. What does mdir do?