baslinux - Re: [BL] Tv tuner with BL ?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tv tuner with BL ?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:15:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:28:57 +0000 (UTC)
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Have you considered cloning your stable BL2 to a 1GB partition on your
large hard drive,

:)

My "stable" and mission critical BL2 installation is 32 GB.

I have BL2 in about 600MB including the complete glibc and gcc but not including the kernel source code, source for other things I have compiled, packages I have compiled, uclibc, midi files, and photos (another 500MB or so).

This even includes three versions of Opera, dosemu and some dos wordprocessors, and a copy of my website.

People keep giving us 8GB and larger drives (even two 60s that we fixed) and we can't think of what to do with them. I use them anyway because they are faster than the 2GB ones (which keep dying in use, from old age).

What do you use 32GB for?

You could install a minimal BL to maybe a 1GB partition and then just add the 2.6 modules and programs needed for the TV tuner, and upgrade glibc and gcc to whatever knoppix is using once you figure it all out. It would be educational and would probably boot and shut down a lot faster.

and then booting to it with loadlin using a 2.6 kernel
from knoppix, and adding the modules from knoppix, and if needed a later
glibc-so?

No, I haven't considered it.
Do you have a lot of time to waste?

20GB seems like a lot of space to watch TV from.

If it was just for the sake of watching TV, then it would be easier to just switch on the little digital, portable DVD/TV unit by my right elbow. Which is what I do when I take a break and want to watch the news, or when my wife wants to watch something else when the cricket or rugby is on. :)
The TV tuner card was one of the things I specified when I had this high-end machine built (after receiving an inheritance in cash) specifically for experimenting with Linux distros. Its purpose is for me to experiment with a variety of different distros and see what I can get them to do. It is for learning on, for playing with, for trying things out on, and for fun. It has a lot of grunt, a Gig of RAM, USB and firewire ports everywhere, even a matched pair of SATA hard disks, so it should be useful for a long time.

Sounds fun. Do you have any preferences among the big name distros?

I will continue to play with this machine (in my spare time) learning all the while (I hope). But now that I have found that BL is not something that would be able to run a TV tuner card, then it is no longer relevent to this list, so we should drop the subject now.

If you upgraded enough parts, BL should be able to do anything, probably in much less space and memory. But we can drop the subject. Sindi

Steven, this is my last post on TV tuner cards. Sorry for the drift off-topic.

Regards,
Ron