baslinux - [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:21:11 +0100

I have just brought an elderly thinpad out of retirement and installed
BasicLinux using bare.i, zimage.4dx and lilo. I have a text based system
running and have installed mc, icewm and pkgtool

icewm returns an error message "Can't open display: <none> X must be
running...."

startx returns an error "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shut down)

minicom freezes when attempting to set port to ttyS0 - I think this is a
thinkpad oddity where COM1 is disabled until DOS or Windows enables it.

ps displays 3 init processes plus [kflushd], [kupdate], [kswapd],
[keventd], -sh and ash.

my long term aim is to install a pcmcia to usb card and share a usb card
reader with my desktop - much better than breaking big files into 1440kb
segments for an unreliable floppy drive.

Is there an installation guide / reference manual for Basic Linux? Until I
get a graphical interface working I am a bit stuck.