baslinux - Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:01:25 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Sindi:

Please set your email program to send plain text without the duplicate copy in HTML (which more than doubles the size of the mail).

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

BL3 USB support does not include USB-storage, for which you need a 2.4 kernel. What did you plan to use the USB for?

Maplin.co.uk have several PCMCIA -usb cards as described below. My plan was
to use one to attach printer, memory cards, broadband router and mouse. Then
divide a 1gig memory card into a big swap file plus apps and user data. It
has 2 type 2 slots so I could use a separate pcmcia cf card reader if they do
not obstruct each other externally.

"USB 2.0 4 Port PCMCIA Laptop Card
??? 4 USB 2.0 Ports
??? Compliant with USB 2.0 and 1.1 Specification
??? Supported Data Transfer 1.5/12/480 Mbps
??? Supplied with USB power cable
??? Driverless under Windows ME/2000/XP
??? Supports PC & MAC"

Clean boot test
Boot from floppy
startx
Xsetup A(640x480), P(PS2 mouse), 2(button)
results in _X11TranssocketUNIXConnect:can't connect errorno= 111
xinit connection refused
xinit nosuch process (errno 3) Servier error.
Do I need to install a package first?

I have just brought an elderly thinkpad out of retirement
Which model?

First 486 thinkpad was 700C in 1992 (4MB RAM, 25MHz).

startx returns an error "X connection to :0.0 broken
(explicit kill or server shut down)

Since Xvesa is not working, try the SVGA X server instead.
pkg Slackware xsvga.tgz and Steven's no-xvesa.tgz.

For my 486 Compaq (see the archives - wd chipset) I used svga server
with special modelines that I found online for the video chip (which worked fine in DOS but in only 4 colors with Xvesa). If you are lucky the regular modelines will work.

I posted my configuration file for the Compaq at:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.wd90c24.640

One that worked with several Toshibas and other laptops with CHIPS video:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.laptops
(I fiddled with modelines and somehow got it working.)

For more info on Thinkpads and linux:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com
39 pages of links about IBMs.

Someone made an IBM Thinkpad 365XD into a custom picture frame (Debian) without a cursor (or CD-ROM drive, battery, and other irrelevant details).

http://peipa.esses.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html
Archived material on Slackware (2.0 or later) on 486 thinkpads
floppy=thinkpad when booting

There is an X configuration file there for the 370C, with modelines for 640x480 (chipset wd90c30), 500C, 750C, 755C. If you don't have these models, you can look up modelines for your video chipset. First see if the standard modelines for SVGA server work.

Someone else had a CHIPS chipset in a 701C, which did not work with Xvesa.

Two other options for you to consider (both of which
BL3 is configured for):
(1) PCMCIA sleeve for CF card (I got mine for $2).

This works well for us too.