baslinux - Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:14:47 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> I have just brought an elderly thinpad out of
> retirement

I assume it is a 486?

> and installed BasicLinux using bare.i, zimage.4dx
> and lilo.

bare.i ? I don't understand. Did you install BL2 or BL3 ?
If BL3, did you install from the floppy version or the DOS
version?

BTW, before you install to HD, it would be a good idea
to check that X is working.

> I have a text based system running and have installed mc,
> icewm

You installed icewm before checking that X is working.
Definitely not a good idea.

> and pkgtool

pkgtool? from Slackware? That's not going to work on BL3.
pkgtool requires a record in existing files (in /var/log).
BL3 has no such record.

> icewm returns an error message "Can't open display: <none>
> X must be running...."

Indeed. First you get X running (and try jwm). Then you
think about installing icewm (or any other X application).

> startx returns an error "X connection to :0.0 broken
> (explicit kill or server shut down)

I suggest you go back to the unmodified BL3 (either DOS
or floppy version) and try running X. You've added so
much questionable stuff that it's difficult to guess
where the problem is.

> my long term aim is to install a pcmcia to usb card
> and share a usb card reader with my desktop - much
> better than breaking big files into 1440kb segments
> for an unreliable floppy drive.

Two other options for you to consider (both of which
BL3 is configured for):
(1) PCMCIA sleeve for CF card (I got mine for $2).
(2) PCMCIA network card (I got mine for $1).

I have no idea how to use a PCMCIA-to-USB card in BL3.
In fact, I have never seen a PCMCIA-to-USB card.

> Is there an installation guide / reference manual
> for Basic Linux?

There's nothing comprehensive, but you do have the README,
the manpages and the odd help file (like /root/netsetup).
Your main resource is this discussion group (including the
archive of old messages). You might find the old BL2 FAQ
useful.

> Until I get a graphical interface working I am a bit stuck.

Right. Let's make that our number 1 goal. Go back
to the naked BL3 (no add-ons) and execute: startx
Then tell us exactly what happens. Everything.