baslinux - Re: [BL] Colours, or lack thereof

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Colours, or lack thereof
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:37:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hi! Here's Czerno again. Thank you (y'all, right, Sindi?) for
yesterday's detailed encouragements. Rather than acknowleging and
answering every individual messages - which is difficult as I am
using Yahoo groups' daily digest - I'll be giving some answers,
reporting progress in configuring the X-desktop for my system, in the
hope it may be useful to others in the future; plus additional
questions of course ;=)

Steven said :
> AFAIK you only have 16 colors available in 640x480x4.

Sort of. Up to 16 different colours displayed on screen *at the same
time*, but selected from 260,000 possible colours (3x6 bits, that's
for plain standard VGA) through two level of programmable indirection
tables in the display adapter.

> I know nothing about Windows 95. However, I would
> be surprised to find that it is able to create a
> multiplicity of colors on a VGA monitor.

Yet it does, it is one of the roles of the so-called GDI

Sindi : > It probably dithers the colors, meaning it approximates a
missing color by
> using a mixture of existing ones.

That too. The GDI is a complex beast.But I won't go astray and
off-topic. Back to GNU/Linux.

>> I have been making all sort of efforts ...
Steven : >And we have been making all sorts of efforts to help you.

Indeed. Sorry if my remark looked like a rant, I was (am) very tired.

And now, some of today's homework :

- X Desktop background : changed from "Navy" (not working) to plain
"Blue" in .xinitrc : OK :=)

- Left-handed mouse in X-Windows (swap mouse buttons) : working!
File : /etc/.xinitrc
Added a line to execute : xmodmap

Created file : ~/.xmodmaprc
-------------------------
pointer = 3 2 1
-------------------------

- To-do : French keyboard in the GUI. I think it will be done by
xmodmap also. I'll have to chase some ready-made .xmodmaprc with the
proper key definitions (Google!).

> As for Console:
> ===============
> 1. changing font and keyboard layout to proper one.

The complicated loadkeys/keymap... thing seems to be for the Linux
console, not inside X-Windows, although the two may interfere.

Unfortunately something will have to be done to get console *output*
right, because the console does not display "hi-ascii" 8bit chars
properly, viz foreign accented characters and the like - as is,
inside or outside of the GUI -

As regards the difference between the behaviours of Links and Lynx :

Links behaves properly, whether in GUI or console; chars are
displayed white on black bg, colours are honoured.

Lynx behaves totally different in GUI from console : in GUI (rxvt),
chars are black on white, no colours. In console, it honours the
colour settings from /etc/lynx.cfg

Any ideas ?

Sindi : <If console fonts do not map properly there is a way to fix
that.

> setfont iso05.5f6 -u /usr/lib/kbd/consulesfonts/u - worked for me
for
Cyrillic.

Interesno :=)

>You are asking lots of intelligent questions.

Not, but you gave tremendously interesting answers...

Czerno