baslinux - Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:50:06 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
The machine is a 486DX4 with 16Mb RAM. I divided hda
into a 16Mb swap disk and the rest as ext2.

[SNIP]

Then divide a 1gig memory card into a big swap file

As I understand it (I could be out of date), memory cards
only take a finite number of writes. Using one for swap
risks wearing it out. 32mb swap is adequate for 16mb RAM.
More swap than that is not going to have a significant
effect on your 486.

Current memory cards still do wear out after a finite number of writes,
but the manufacturer specs have gone up considerably for this
specification, so it shouldn't be a problem. The cards are also
supposed to balance the number of writes across the available
locations, as well.

Our 1GB flash memory card has been written to only a few dozen times and some of the files have already gone bad (presumably they are on a bad area of the memory).

How big is your hard disk?
Sindi

This said, unless the memory card is CompactFlash, being used as an IDE
drive, I can't recommend it. Putting swap on any removable media is a
sure receipie for disaster, the first time one forgetfully pulls the
card out while in operation.

Anthony Albert