baslinux - Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:11:08 +0100

Thank you for your assistance Steven - no success yet but getting closer

The machine is a 486DX4 with 16Mb RAM. I divided hda into a 16Mb swap disk and the rest as ext2.

I installed BL3 from floppy - bl3-50fd downloaded via my Suse10.2 desktop machine as a zip file and expanded on that machine. I used YAST to create the DISK1.IMG image floppy and dragged DISK2.TGZ into a mounted floppy via konqueror.

Maplin.co.uk have several PCMCIA -usb cards as described below. My plan was to use one to attach printer, memory cards, broadband router and mouse. Then divide a 1gig memory card into a big swap file plus apps and user data. It has 2 type 2 slots so I could use a separate pcmcia cf card reader if they do not obstruct each other externally.

"USB 2.0 4 Port PCMCIA Laptop Card

• 4 USB 2.0 Ports

• Compliant with USB 2.0 and 1.1 Specification

• Supported Data Transfer 1.5/12/480 Mbps

• Supplied with USB power cable

• Driverless under Windows ME/2000/XP

• Supports PC & MAC"

Clean boot test

Boot from floppy

startx

Xsetup A(640x480), P(PS2 mouse), 2(button)

results in _X11TranssocketUNIXConnect:can't connect errorno= 111

xinit connection refused

xinit nosuch process (errno 3) Servier error.

Do I need to install a package first?

Since the opening screen said that Slackware 4 packages could be installed I assumed that that included pkgtool.tgz - no it does not work.