baslinux - Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx on an elderly Thinkpad 755CE
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:11:21 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Karolis wrote:

> > Since the opening screen said that Slackware 4 packages could be
> > installed I assumed that that included pkgtool.tgz - no it does
> > not work.
>
> BL3 uses a really simplistic "pkg" command to install packages,
> not installpkg.

Despite its "simplicity", pkg has no problem
installing that package (or any other package
from Slackware 4.0). Installing Slackware
packages is simple: untar from the top and
then execute doinst.sh.

The problem here is that the Slackware pkgtool
expects a Slackware base to work on -- in particular,
it expects a pre-existing list of installed packages
in /var/log. BL3 does not have that.