baslinux - Re: [BL] Even more questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Even more questions
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:15:55 -0700

On 7/15/07, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

The 2.4.31 modules compiled by David Moberg, who is using a later glibc,
do not work with the kernels I compiled with an earlier glibc. I can use
his kernels together with his modules, with my older glibc, but cannot mix
his modules with my kernels. (I did not try the other direction). Maybe
he will explain why. I think he said it was because of different glibc
used during compilation.

IIRC, it was gcc, the compiler. gcc compiles modules with a slightly
different layout if you don't use the same version when you compile
both the modules and kernels. So you often cannot mix and match
modules and kernels if they were built with different gcc versions.
(Sometimes it works, however, if the differences are small enough.
Your mileage may vary, etc.)

David